Windows 7 & Server 2008 End Of Life;
- Microsoft has set a date of the 14th January 2020 that they will no longer supply security updates and patches for Windows 7 and Server 2008.
- Microsoft will no longer supply phone tech support if you call their helpline to discuss Windows 7 and Server 2008 products.
This means by January 2020 if you are a business, you should have already upgraded to Windows 10.
What If I Don’t Upgrade;
- If you don’t upgrade your computers and servers you put your business information, client information at much higher risk of obtaining viruses, data theft and data loss.
- If you continue with Windows 7 past the End Of Life date, software companies will eventually stop releasing updates for programs you currently use and some programs may fail to work correctly.
- Confidential information in Australia is governed by ‘The Privacy Act 1988’ which states businesses must mitigate the risk of client information loss. If you choose not to upgrade and your business suffers a data breach due to running Windows 7 or Server 2008, it can result in fines of $340,000 for individuals and up to $1,700,000 for companies. More can be found here: Privacy Act 1998 Data Breaches
How Do I Upgrade?
- If your computer is older than 7 years, its unlikely it will be compatible with the new Windows 10 system. If you call us on (08) 9200 3488 we can check for you.
- If you don’t know what version of Windows you are running, call us and we can help you identify what version of Windows you are running.
- Upgrades should be completed by Refined IT, if you try to complete the upgrades yourself and something goes wrong it could cost you hundreds of dollars to repair.
My Computer Isn’t Compatible?
- If we have completed a check and notified you that Windows 10 is not compatible with your current computer, you will need to upgrade your computer system to a newer model that supports Windows 10
Why Should We Upgrade Now?
- If your computer systems are compatible with Windows 10, completing the windows 10 upgrade for your business before July can provide tax deductions to your business in this financial year.
- If your computer systems are not compatible with Windows 10 and you need to purchase an entirely new computer, all top end hardware manufacturers such as Dell, HP and Lenovo offer End Of Financial Year sales. Upgrading before July will not only save you money on the product itself due to the sales, but also the tax offset obtained by purchasing and installing business equipment.